Ugh, winter. This season is a major, soul-sucking drag, and it’s basically a full-time job keeping yourself from plummeting into total despair during the dark winter months. But, there are ways to cheer yourself up during winter, though it takes a little creativity. Like the sneaky monster it is, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) comes for us all when the temperatures start to drop. However, SAD can be defeated — you just need the right pick-me-ups.
With the correct combo of positive tricks, you can keep that beautiful smile on that even more beautiful face of yours all the way to Spring. The best part is that most of these things are free. And you don’t even need to leave your house — which, especially for introverts (hi there!) — is really a dream come true. Also, none of them require a ton of effort, since most of us have zero energy right now anyway. Give one or all of them a try, and watch your mood instantly improve. Here are all the little ways to cheer yourself up during the winter, because despite the commonality of winter madness, happiness during the cold months is attainable.
1. Get all kinds of cozy – wherever you find yourself, get yourself comfortable;
2. Catch up on all the books you’ve wanted to read – If the chilly weather is keeping you locked indoors, take advantage of this forced downtime by exercising your brain. Read, and read some more. It’s a decision you will never regret;
3. Plan a trip – Even if your bank account hates you right now after wiping it out during holiday’s we have had plenty off, plan a trip. You don’t even need to book anything, because the act of simply planning something fun will cheer you up. It forces you to acknowledge that better days are coming, and winter will eventually end;
4. Catch up on your favourite shows – This is the perfect time of year to do this. Binge on the shows you haven’t been watching, and get all caught up by the time they return from winter hiatus;
5. Rearrange your furniture – your space can use a change, and since you’re stuck inside, now is the perfect time to do just that.
6. De-clutter your life – All of us accumulate so much crap. Especially after receiving a sack full of new goodies for the holidays, our houses are probably packed to the gills with things we no longer need. You can’t exactly “in with the new” until you go “out with the old,” you know? So gather up the stuff you no longer want, and donate it;
7. Watch summer movies – the memory of hot summer days will cheer your up;
8. Drink all the hot beverages – This is the season to suck down all the lattes you can stomach. Try ’em all. Make your own at home. Better not be SAD, be happy, summer is just around the corner.